Monday, August 2, 2010

Real riches

I am right now on my way to work on a Monday morning. It seems to be a normal Monday morning, however, I have this empty feeling inside of me. This is unusual, as far as I can remember this has never happened to me.

I fell that I don't really want to go to work right now. I miss my wife and kids. Again, this is unusual because they are at home as they always are.

We had a good weekend this last weekend. I wasn't think too much about work and we pretty much spent time together. Yesterday afternoon we took a walk to the beach, my son on his bike and my daughter on her scooter. My wife and I were just watching the kids having fun. It was very nice.

I must confess that since I have taken control of my finances and started to focus on learning about how to manage our money and pay off our debt, it has been hard to think of other things. This can be a little stressful and addictive.

On the way to the train station I was listening to the radio and they were talking about relationships with other people, at a professional or personal levels. Real riches don't come from the things we have, our assets, the money in the bank or the expense bar or boat. It comes from our relationship with others.

I need to slow down a little bit, and this can be hard to me, and spend a little more quality time with my family. There is nothing better than watching those children playing and having fun.

Even as I type this my mind is drawn to the topic of passive income. One way that I could spend more time with them is by having enough passive income to be able to quit my day job. I guess this is everyone's dream. This can be a double-edged knife though. The drive towards financial independence cannot take priority of what is really important in our lives. Having enough assets and cash to be able to provide to the ones around me and to help other people is really a wonderful thing but the most important thing is to spend quality time with the ones around me and make sure that they are ok.

Financial health is important, but so is mind and soul. I will not be able to get my time back. I will always cherish the memories of the time I have spent with my family. So I better spend more quality time with them right now.

Writing on my own website and learning about how to manage finances can be addictive. Marrying this with a full time day job can be really stressful and frustrating, especially if I cannot achieve what I have planned. The challenge is to continue to be productive, to learn about money and finances and make sure that I have plenty of time to spend with family and friends.

I guess it is hard to define what real riches are, in my case, real riches mean spending more quality time with my family and friends and creating memories that will last forever. I will be a dad that the kids will remember me by being there  with them whenever they needed me. Not the guy that was always in the office working.

Financial independence will enable me to spend more quality time with them and will also enable me to provide them with everything they need. We just cannot forget that money is a means and not the end.

Consider what is important for you and make sure your finances are working to help you to spend more time with your family and friends.

Best of luck.